Luckily I have a great recipe for your delight today, in fact it’s one that I have perfected for some time now, just for you!! I hope it makes up for my absence?! x
I’ve been making these Lemon meringue cupcakes all summer and I have to say they are loved by all my friends!! Perhaps that’s why I keep making them so often!!……haha x
I do love them myself too, but I have always been a sucker for lemon meringue x
Ingredients for the sponge
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- seeds of ½ vanilla pod
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g self raising flour
Method for cupcakes sponge
- Place the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla seeds in a mixing bowl and cream together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs lightly in another bowl and slowly add to the butter mixture while whisking quickly. If the mixture starts to seperate or curdle, stop adding the egg and beat in 2-3 tablespoons of flour. This will rebind the batter.
- Once all the egg has been incorporated into the butter mixture, sift in the flour and stir until the batter is just combined. This will ensure the sponges stay light and fluffy.
- Using a plastic piping bag or a tablespoon, carefully place the batter into the cupcake cases until two-thirds full only.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, at 175ºC, depending on your oven. The cupcakes are cooked when the tops are golden brown and spring back to the touch. If in doubt, insert a clean knife or wooden skewer into the centre of each sponge, it should come out
Ingredients for toppings
- Jar of lemon curd
- 120g of egg whites (approx. 3 large eggs)
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 240g caster sugar
Method for toppings
- Whisk the whites and cream of tartar until foamy then add half the sugar and continue whisking until glossy and thick, do not over beat. Add the rest of the sugar and whisk for a few seconds.
- Pipe a ring of meringue around the outside of the cupcake.
- Place a teaspoon of lemon curd into the centre, then top with a second rosette of meringue. Add a few jelly segments to the meringue and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Place on a baking tray and place into the hot oven to brown for a couple of minutes. Remove, dust with icing sugar and serve cool.