This week I thought I would try Carrot Cake and it turned out perfectly!! A real success xxx
- butter, for greasing
- 125g/4.5 oz self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g/4.5 oz soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100ml/3.5 fl oz sunflower oil
- 125g/4.5 oz carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 25g/1 oz desiccated coconut
- 25g/1 oz walnuts, chopped
- walnut peices, to decorate
- 50g/1.75 oz butter, softened
- 50g/1.75 oz full-fat soft cheese
- 225g/8 oz icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180○C/350○F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 20-cm/8-inch square cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, salt and ground cinnamon into a large bowl and stir in the brown sugar. Add the eggs and oil to the bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the grated carrot, desiccated coconut and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until just firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile. make the icing. In a bowl, beat together the butter, soft cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice until the mixture is fluffy and creamy.
- Turn the cake out of the tin and cut into 12 bars or slices. Spread with the icing and then decorate with walnut pieces.
Another straight forward recipe and it was super yummy xx There is nothing I would change in the recipe for the next time, I may possible buy a square tin to try out cutting it in to rectangular slices, but that is just a small aesthetic change to make it better for photographs xx
I dropped off half of this cake to a very close friend who also gave me great feedback on it, so I am adding this keep pile for future!! xx
With my ever growing obsession with buying pretty tea services and plates I had to include a plate from my most recent purchase!! I also thought I’d add in a piece of my driftwood collection too to try and make it more arty, not with the greatest success this time, but I’ll keep practising xx