It’s time for my weekly baking challenge! Yeah!!
This week I decided to attempt a Victoria Sponge.
It went really well again this week and the sponge tastes rather yummy, I would have liked it a little moister but I think that can be easily remedied next time!!
This is the recipe I followed:
- 175g/6 oz butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 175g/6 oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g/6 oz self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp raspberry jam
- 1 tbsp caster or icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180○C/350○F/Gas mark 4. Grease two 20cm/8-inch sandwich tins and line with greaseproof paper or baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl using a wooden spoon or hand-held mixer until the mixture is pale in colour and light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. sift the flour and salt and carefully add to the mixture, folding in with a metal spoon or a spatula. Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth over with the spatula.
- Place them on the same shelf in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until well risen, golden brown and beginning to shrink from the sides of the tin.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 1 minute, looken the cakes from around the edge of the tins using a palette knife. Turn the cakes out onto a clean tea towel, remove the paper and invert them onto a wire rack (this prevents the wire rack from marking the top of the cakes).
- When completely cool, sandwich together with the jam and sprinkle with the sugar.
I have been picking up lots of bargains in the sales lately and thought it might be a fun and different way to present my baking adventures this week if I tried on a few things through the course of the evening and took some photos to show you all x In order to decide which of my many buys to wear I decided to narrow it down a lot and chose to wear only my new skirt (Which is a size 10…OMG!!) and try out some of my new tops and shoes with it!! In this first photo of me I have everything together, including my new food processor (which I just had to have now that I am taking baking so seriously) and am ready to get going!! Note my new top from George at ASDA, only £3!!
With the batter thoroughly mixed and ready to put in to the tins, I suddenly realised that I hadn’t put the oven on to heat up and it was a getting little chilly, so I had put on my cardi and scarf for a while until I warmed up a little x Oh and I changed in to my new moccasins from New look too!!
I got this really lovely light green oversized T in New look as well so I thought I would try to make a more casual outfit by wearing my oversized cardi with it!! Whilst pointing at my beautiful cake obviously!! heehee xx Just in case you didn’t know where it was, follow the finger!! x
The obligatory pretending to eat a piece of the yummy cake pose……..I love this photo for some reason, perhaps it’s because it shows a little of the twinkle that I have found lately, now that I have some motivation and clear goals for my future! Or maybe it’s because I’m about to stuff some cake in my face!! x
Then finally just hanging out with my cake in a slightly more dressy outfit!!
I love this colourful top from New look and this photo actually shows off the skirt in it’s full prettiness too, I teamed them with my navy heels for an outfit fit for a night out on the town xx
There we are for another week!! I don’t know if I can keep up the photo shoots along with the baking, but it was fun xx So I may try……..heehee