I thought I would make my first weekly attempt at a new home baking recipe on Tuesday evening as I mentioned here in my New year post!!
And it went really well, I think!!
They tasted amazing and were relatively easy and straight forward to make!! I think I could make them a lot better looking the next time (possibly a bigger baking tray so they were further apart would help as a few were touching by the time the were baked)
If you fancy giving them a go, then here is the recipe I used:
50g ground almonds
25g hazelnuts, finely ground, plus 1 tbsp chopped for decoration
115g icing sugar
2 large eggs
50g caster sugar
6 tbsp hazelnut and chocolate spread
- Place the ground almonds, ground hazelnuts and icing sugar in a food processor and process for 15 seconds. Sift the mixture into a bowl. Line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until holding soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until you have a firm, glossy meringue.
- Using a spatula, fold the almond mixture into the meringue one third at a time. When all the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, continue to cut and fold the mixture until it forms a shiny batter with a thick, ribbon like consistency.
- Pour the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1 – cm plain nozzle. pipe 32 small rounds onto the prepared baking sheets. Tap the baking sheets firmly onto a work surface to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle over the chopped hazelnuts. Leave at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 160○C/325○F/Gas mark 3.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully peel the macaroons off the baking paper. Leave to cool completely.
- Sandwich pairs of macaroons together with the hazelnut and chocolate spread.
I will definitely be making these again!! And I will also be trying many variations of the Macaroon in the future to find other flavours to go along side these!!